‘We need to teach children that there is a thing called history and a thing called maths and a thing called geography and they are separate!’ So said former chief inspector and Teacherfinder General Chris Woodhead back in the dark days (or 1996).
This may well be the case when it comes to exams (and exam factory schooling) but, when it comes to learning, such narrow compartmentalising simply gets in the way of young people making sense of a real world where everything is everything.
Which is where top creative teacher Hywel Roberts comes in, bringing with him a bulging goody bag of ideas, approaches and classroom strategies that really do switch on all young children to learn, to think, to participate, to take responsibility and to enjoy the whole wonderful process.
Hywel is an Advanced Skills Teacher, a visiting practitioner to the Bloomsbury Theatre, London, Manchester Metropolitan University, an associate consultant for the University of Wolverhampton and a member of the National Executive for the National Association for the Teaching of Drama. From basic but great classroom pedagogy to developing a ‘blended curriculum’ to teacher coaching and mentoring (also including TA, AST, NQT development and cover supervisor training) to wonderfully innovative and life-changing strategies such as ‘Mantle of the Expert’, Hywel covers – and practises – a whole variety of approaches that make learning real for young people and delivers his work with an energy and a humour that is quite, quite infectious.
Or, as one happy client put it to us recently:
'I'm just writing to let you know about our INSET day that Hywel Roberts led today. Many people felt it was the best training we have ever had. Having been at the school for seven years and seen various educational 'luminaries' pass through our doors I have no hesitation in agreeing. His knowledge, passion and sense of humour 'hooked' our staff in from the outset and I'm sure has empowered them to try out his methods to engage children in their learning. Furthermore, his real life experiences gave him credibility as a speaker and as someone whom the staff could empathise with.'
With a CV that includes experience as a classroom teacher in a successful and creative secondary school in the north of England and freelance work in places from Burnley to Belgium, taking in Dubai and Egypt too, Hywel is building a growing reputation as a one of the leading up and coming speakers and trainers on creativity in education, which is why Independent Thinking is delighted to have him on board.
Sometimes it is not so much about teaching children as, in Hywel’s words, ‘luring them into learning’. So, if you are looking for someone who can really help you bring the teaching alive in your school and help children learn - almost despite themselves - then Hywel is the man to help you know both what to dangle and how.
Brand New Intensive Day Courses on Practical Strategies for Engaging ALL Learners with Hywel Roberts - for dates and how to book click here
Recent feedback includes the comments:
- Hywel's enthusiasm for learning is infectious and staff have gone away fired up to make positive changes in their classrooms. I know it is important to Hywel that, through his training, he has an impact on children's learning and he will undoubtedly have done so today.
- The best training we have ever had. His knowledge, passion and sense of humour 'hooked' our staff in from the outset and I'm sure has empowered them to try out his methods to engage children in their learning. Furthermore, his real life experiences gave him credibility as a speaker and as someone whom the staff could empathise with. I would have no hesitation in recommending him. Keep on fighting the good fight! Many thanks.
- Just wanted to say a big thank you for mobilising the conference last week, setting the tone and getting everyone "up" for a really good day.You really struck a chord and made our TAs reflect on what it was that made them want to do the job that they do, consider what they are doing well and what they can do to improve. People who spoke to you afterwards commented upon how warm, interested and engaging you were and everyone enjoyed your sense of humour.
- Hywel Roberts, who led our INSET day was brilliant. Staff really enjoyed the day and I can see the impact in ideas being implemented in our classrooms.
- Thank you for working so seamlessly and expertly with us; it made my part of the job easy. The staff valued your expertise enormously... they want you back!
- Hywel was an excellent speaker, very animated throughout, concerned for making sure we were learning and very knowledgeable. He really helped me to refresh my behaviour management as well as developing my confidence and motivating my own strategies. Thank you!
- This gave me a real insight into behaviour in other schools with some good examples and not just from a book. I found this to be a great session and will take so much back to school
- The thing about you that really touched me was your obvious love for and enjoyment of working with young people. Your enthusiasm was boundless. I put into use the "I don't like it when you...." the very next day with a four year old who was having a tantrum!!
'Hywel has a talent for getting people to try new approaches. Whether it is uncertain teachers, teachers with ideas, or youngsters themselves, Hywel is able to galvanise people into a shared approach to improving teaching. He is at home with teaching and enjoys the thrill of helping learning to happen’ - Mick Waters November 2010
People who have benefited from Hywel have also enjoyed David Keeling.
Articles written by Hywel Roberts:
Books written by Hywel Roberts:
Video clips with Hywel Roberts:
For more information about how Hywel can help you help the learners learn and to book him to work with teachers, school leaders, students or governors in the early years, primary and secondary phases please e-mail us on email@example.com or call us 0844 589 0490.
Hywel's prices are as follows:
||Full Day INSET/Conference|
||Half Day INSET/Conference|
||1-Hour Conference Address|
||Full Day Students|
||Half Day Students|
Travelling expenses, accommodation costs (if required), and VAT are also charged
For our other Associates' prices, corporate Event prices or further information on expenses please click here
Hywel's CRB number is 001303726105 issued on 27th November 2010.
Click here for a pdf version of this profile.
Click here to return to the top of the page.
<< Back to 'Key Associates (M - Z)'